Hi,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 01:47:20PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Giles Orr via talk <talk@gtalug.org>
>
> | I received multiple messages yesterday from the list, many of which
> | appear to be up to a couple months old.
>
> The mail software (MailMan) kicked those messages to the moderator.
>
> The current moderator is sort of / somewhat retired and just got to them.
>
> We could use more volunteers to do tasks like this.  Note: I don't appoint
> people.

Never having set foot in a local meeting (the commute from Montreal is too
long :) ) I'm not known to any of you except through my rare contributions
to this list.  But, it's a job that can be done remotely and I am often near
a computer, so I'd be willing to help with moderation.

I can't remember exactly how I got here.  It would have been one of two
similar 'campaigns'.  First, LUGs started to disappear at some point.
Frequently having questions in those years, I started to search for
alternatives to the LUGs that were folding around me.

The second was after I moved to Montreal.  In 2017 the annual Debian
Conference was hosted in Montreal.  I got involved since I was a debian user
and mlug has been for all intents and purposes inactive, so I figured I meet
the debian québec gang (I think some of you may have met anarcat from
Montreal.  He gave a packaging presentation in TO, I think).  One of the
things I was asked to help with was publicising the event to Canadian geeks.
So I had another go at finding still existing LUGs in order to spread the
word.

Having written all that out, I think it was the 2nd, Debconf related,
campaign where I discovered GTALUG.  I've been on this list, and hanging in
#debian-quebec on irc @oftc (joeDoe on irc) and going to pre-pandemic and
resently restarted debian-quebec get-togethers ever since :)

I only once had a Linux job that lasted (~1 year) until the Dotcom boom went
bomb.  In other words, my interest in Linux is purely as a home user and
advocate.  My last job was in fact very un technical: crossing guard :)

Let me know if you'd like me to help moderate.

--
Znoteer
znot...@mailbox.org