| From: Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk@gtalug.org>
|
| It's become interesting to follow what appears to be a re-invention of the
| model taking place as CIQ <https://ciq.co/> seeks to be for Rocky Linux
| what Canonical was for Ubuntu (hopefully, better!). There are, to be sure,
| significant differences between the two pairs' interrelationships; but it
| will be interesting to see the differences in approaches between the two.
| Might even make it worth exploring the Red Hat Universe again.
|
| If I want to leave Ubuntu-world for my (nominally-headless) server, what
| would be the path of least resistance? Debian?

I followed that link and got, front and centre, a video full of
aspirational market-speak.  No usable info.

Canonical has done a lot of work creating Ubuntu.  Of course they
stand on the shoulders of the rest of us, but it has been real and
respectable work.  Now they are trying another way to make some money
off this.

Rocky Linux appears to be just a copy of RHEL (as was CentOS).  I
guess CIQ is selling support for it (the front page doesn't say).
Just like RHEL.  It will likely be cheaper and not as good since the
vast majority of the engineers are at Red Hat.

(My understanding is Oracle Linux is kind of similar, but with more
engineers.  And some tie-in with Oracle's other products.  Oracle does
some innovation in their Linux too.)

So these models seem quite different, based on the amount of
engineering.

BTW small doses of RHEL are "free" (as in beer).  But you have to
register and I assume that the product phones home to make sure you
don't exceed the limits.

I like to think that my Linux installations don't phone home.  Of
course that is false because they do phone home for updates.  And all
web browsers spray DNA everywhere.