| From: Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk@gtalug.org>

| On 24/04/2023 02.35, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
| > There are a lot of used Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p Tiny computers
| > available, starting at $100.

| These are neat, but I was thinking of a portable device like the later DECTalk
| boxes. Still, that's a heck of a deal. I may replace my 2013 Samsung laptop
| with one for the "Do I have to?" Windows moments.

1. There are many choices of these off-lease ThinkCentre computers.
In that RFD thread I pointed out a $~150 choice that I thought might
be worth the extra fifty dollars.

2. These little computers are easy to stick on a shelf.  But when you use
   them for Windows, you need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  Don't
   forget that (I know you wouldn't have; it's a figure of speach).  But
   you probably have those laying around that you can temporarily
   repurpose.  But it is a reason to consider a cheap old notebook
   instead.

3. This is tax time.  Exactly when I need Windows.  I'm using one of my
   M93p's for exactly that purpose.  For confidential work like that, I
   prefer a desktop so that I don't accidentally take it out of my house.
   Besides, a large screen helps for tax-related work.

4. I don't find off-lease notebooks as attractive.  Enough things have
   advanced over the years that they just aren't as useful as cheap newer
   notebooks.  I have bought used notebooks but not that aged.

5. In some ways, the best time to have bought off-lease stuff was when the
   Intel Core 10th generation was current: the progress between the fourth
   and tenth generation was so slow that you didn't lose a lot being
   behind.  My impression is that the 11th and 12th were significant
   steps.  The 13th is better still but I don't know how much.
   Unfortunately business machines tend to ignore AMD.  We do have Lenovo
   ThinkCentre M75q Tiny computers which are AMD-based.