On 2023-06-01 15:05, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
I remember seeing the initial ad campaign.  A big price drop from other
calculators.  But it only had 4 functions.  I had been given a scientific
calculator by then, if I remember correctly.  Oddity: floating point but
no scientific notation -- crazy.

Yep, it was a 4 banger.  Fixed point at 2 digits.  It also took a fair effort to press the keys, IIRC.  A couple of years later, I bought a couple of their desktop calculators, from a surplus place in the states.  SD Sales?  Even though they were made in Toronto, I still had to pay duty to bring them across the border.

| BTW, as I mentioned the other day, I still have a slide rule from my high
| school days.  It's a Pickett Microline 120 and it still works 56 years later!
| By the time I got to Ryerson, I was using a calculator.

<https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1214517>

Pickett was a good brand.  I really didn't like plastic slide rules
because they were jerky to operate: stiction.

Well, what do you expect for $2?  😉
Anyway, I was just a kid starting high school at the time. Incidentally, there's a bit of a story about my first day in electricity class, which is what I bought that slide rule for.  On the first day of class, the teacher was talking about resistance and how all conductors had it.  I then asked "What about superconductors?".  He'd never heard of them (this was Sept. 1967, when few people had).  I knew about them, because I had read about them in an encyclopedia that I had at home.  So, the next day, I brought in that volume to show him.  IIRC, superconductivity was discovered by a German physicist in 1914, when he inserted lead wire in liquid helium.

My grade 12 electronics teacher had a big, multi-scale slide rule, which could handle reactance (capacitance & inductance) directly.