A friend has an old trusty HP LaserJet 4MP printer.

This is so old that HP no longer makes Windows drivers for it and HP no
longer has online manuals for it.  I'm guessing that the 4mp model was
introduced about 30 years ago.  (I bought a LaserJet IIP in 1989 for
$1400.  Long dead.)

It works fine under Linux (he has used Ubuntu).  He did need a dongle to
connect the serial or parallel port (I don't remember which) to a USB port
on the computer.

There is a hack to support this for use by Windows:

<https://openprinting.github.io/wsl-printer-app/>

Highlights:

- run Ubuntu in WSL2 (requires Win11)

- use ubunto-previow because that allows systemd, which is needed

- use <https://github.com/dorssel/usbipd-win> to pass through the USB
  device to Ubuntu

He is about to try this.  I hope it work

Boy is that a lot of duct tape.