On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 11:39 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk@gtalug.org> wrote:

> <https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/introducing-raspberry-pi-5/>
>
> Faster.  Some new capabilities.  US$5 increase in base price over original
> Raspberry Pi.

A feature dropped was the 3.5mm audio out jack. So for audio from the
Raspberry Pi 5 you will need it from the HDMI, Bluetooth, or via USB.
On the Pi 4 / Pi 400 I have played around with Bluetooth audio, and
while there may be some optimization that I missed, my experience was
that the audio with games lagged what was happening on screen. For
USB, I've played with USB sound cards (giving both audio out and
microphone in) with an eye towards video conferencing and found those
satisfactory. Also, as long as you don't need high volume, a low end
USB speaker (like: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3369 ) works well.
Also, I've used a VGA monitor with a Pi 400 using one of these HDMI to
VGA adapters that lets you connect conventional speakers, which works
well (
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_3931_4363&item_id=121160&sid=u7t9tdh0opp5utj2bcb3s83t23
).

So, one real but minor disappointment aside, everything else looks
good, and I do have a Pi 5 pre-ordered :-) .