Have a look at tailscale, which I looked at a few years back when dealing with a similar IT operation. It looked like a resolution, but fortunately I was offered a new job elsewhere.

--dave

On 2024-02-13 02:06, William Park via talk wrote:
Why not comply and install VPN?  I face the same issue at my company, and that's how I work from home.  Fortunately, they allow VM.

On 2024-02-12 20:22, Peter King via talk wrote:
Honestly, I won’t do that.  About three weeks ago I had gotten approval for a new static ip address, at which point I asked for them to allow me to ssh to that address.  I was *refused* and told I had to use a VPN because they “have to protect shh from the internet.”  (!!!)

An IT department that thinks ssh needs to be protected is not a department you want to deal with, ever.

If I ask them about bandwidth I fear they will take away ssh access from the address I already had.

Yes, this is what your tax dollars pay for.

Sent from my iPad