My original Gemini search said nothing about DirectX or OpenGL.

When I asked: How well do the two iGPUs support OpenGL and Directx

I got this:

Both the Intel UHD Graphics G1 in the i3-1005G1 and the Intel UHD Graphics
> for 12th Gen Intel Processors in the i3-1215U boast *good compatibility
> with both OpenGL and DirectX*, with some key differences:
>
> *OpenGL:*
>
>    - *i3-1005G1:* Supports *up to OpenGL 4.5*. This covers most commonly
>    used features, but might lack support for specific advanced features
>    introduced in newer versions.
>    - *i3-1215U:* Supports *up to OpenGL 4.7*. This offers broader
>    compatibility with the latest graphical features.
>
> *DirectX:*
>
>    - *i3-1005G1:* Supports *up to DirectX 12*. This enables access to
>    modern rendering techniques and features, albeit with potentially
>    lower performance compared to dedicated GPUs.
>    - *i3-1215U:* Supports *up to DirectX 12 Ultimate*. This unlocks
>    additional features like ray tracing and Mesh Shaders, unavailable in
>    earlier versions.
>
> *Performance in each API will depend on the specific tasks and workloads.*
> Both iGPUs offer decent performance for basic OpenGL and DirectX
> applications like 2D graphics and light 3D workloads. However, for
> demanding tasks like high-end gaming or professional 3D rendering,
> neither option is powerful enough.
>
> *Here's a table summarizing the key points:*
> Featurei3-1005G1i3-1215U
> OpenGL support Up to 4.5 Up to 4.7
> DirectX support Up to 12 Up to 12 Ultimate
> Performance Basic workloads Basic to moderate workloads
> Advanced features Limited Includes ray tracing and Mesh Shaders
>
> *Ultimately, the choice between the two depends on your specific needs and
> priorities.* If you require more advanced features like ray tracing, the
> i3-1215U is the better option. However, if you only need basic
> compatibility and slightly lower performance is acceptable, the i3-1005G1
> might be a more economical choice.
>
> Remember, even though both iGPUs support these APIs, they are still
> integrated graphics and shouldn't be expected to deliver high-end
> performance compared to dedicated GPUs.

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 11:14 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <
talk@gtalug.org> wrote:

> It's answer is much better.  But that makes its serious mistakes more
> difficult
> to catch.

Which of its mistakes would you call serious?

I followed up by asking Gemini: "what are the data sources for this
comparison?" I got:

I apologize for not including the data sources in my previous responses.
> Here are the sources I used to compare the iGPUs in the Intel Core
> i3-1005G1 and i3-1215U:

*General information:*

>    - Intel Ark:
>       - i3-1005G1: [[invalid URL removed]]([invalid URL removed])
>       - i3-1215U: [[invalid URL removed]]([invalid URL removed])
>    - Wikipedia:
>       - Intel UHD Graphics G1: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_UHD_Graphics_G1
>       - Intel UHD Graphics for 12th Gen Intel Processors: en.wikipedia.
>       org/wiki/Intel_UHD_Graphics_(Alder_Lake)
>
> *Performance comparisons:*
>
>    - UserBenchmark: [invalid URL removed]
>
> <https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-12100-vs-Intel-Core-i3-1005G1/4126vsm906918>
>    - Notebookcheck: notebookcheck.
>    net/i3-1215U-vs-i3-1005G1-vs-i3-1034G1_14098_11413_11415.247596.0.html
>    - CPU Benchmarks: cpubenchmark.
>
> net/compare/3560vs4288vs4141vs4754vs4765/Intel-i3-1005G1-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-5300U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5500U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-1215U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-1235U
>
> *OpenGL and DirectX support:*
>
>    - Intel Graphics Technology Documentation: [[invalid URL
>    removed]]([invalid URL removed])
>
> *Remember that these are just a few of the many resources available, and
> it's always a good idea to consult multiple sources before making a
> purchase decision.*

I'll stop here.  Gemini has wasted my time.  If I were less careful, it would
> have mislead me.
>
> This is the comparison that I trust the most (but it could be wrong too)
> <
> https://www.notebookcheck.net/i3-1215U-vs-i3-1005G1_14098_11413.247596.0.html

It looks like Gemini used that exact source, along with some others....

Exactly how would Gemini's errors (which we haven't established
definitively to be wrong) be considered "misleading", especially since that
term implies intent?

I fully understand the pitfalls of trusting only a single source, and even
Gemini recommends redundancy. But "wasted your time" strikes me as an
overreaction. As a quick answer it got most things right, and in the one
area where a discrepancy was found (DirectX 12 versus 12.1), the Gemini
answer was conservative.

Plus, don't ever hesitate to ask "what are your sources" to any question an
AI bot may offer you.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56