Hello  Al,

Hope the post below helps clarify things for you.
from Doug Geoffray on the new method of
cutting, copying and pasting in IE.

His message is below.

message starts here.

Jim,

This is by design.  I responded privately to a user about this
yesterday...below is my explanation I sent him (slightly modified for
public consumption).

This gets very hard to explain but the two f8 issues you provide are by
design...but here it goes.

Window-Eyes 9 now uses IE to actually select the information.  We give
it the beginning and end and it selects.  This has a couple advantages.
First, this acts exactly like a sighted user would get if they took the
mouse and selected the text.  They would get the same results.  Second,
it allows for formatting to be included. Window-Eyes 8.4 simply gave you
the text and no formatting or graphics or anything.

The problem comes in when a screen reader provides information that
isn't typically visible on the page.  For example, what if this were a
graphical link?  The user sees a picture but the author labeled the
image specifically for accessibility.  A sighted user would never get
this description, only the image itself.  With Window-Eyes 9, that is
what you also get.  Another example is what if the link is showing
whatever but they use ARIA to mark up what a screen reader (any
accessibility aid for that matter) should be using? Again, IE wouldn't
render this ARIA text but it is the accessible text the web author
gave.  We can't select the text that IE doesn't report with the normal
clipboard selection.

This is partly why shift-arrow selection is so difficult now because we
don't have our little pre-processed static buffer anymore like the
outdated 8.4 technique.  We can't stay in sync with what you are
selecting and what IE can really render.  NVDA gets away with this
better (although still not perfect) by not allowing you to select
formatting or images...they are basically doing the old WE 8.4 technique.

Bottom line, to make this manageable, when you select anything from a
link, we force the entire link.  This is why if you are on a link and
you just hit f8 twice followed by enter for copy you get the entire link.

At some point we may implement a feature that if the beginning and end
of the selection using f8 is done on the same line then we just copy the
text as we provide even though IE wouldn't ever render this to a sighted
user.  In most cases I'm seeing people do what you are doing, select a
few words from the current line and not spanning lines.  I think we
could do this correctly but it still wouldn't allow you to select from
the middle of a link down and include the next line as one example.
Well, not without getting the entire link from the first line.
Remember, a sighted user often can't even get to the text that a screen
reader speaks...and even in the youtube example, a sighted user also
can't just clip the name from the link text, it just won't let me.  It
just depends on how the page was done.

So you may not like how it handles this but it is now 100 percent
accurate.  You can of course fine tune what you want after pasting.

I hope this helps.

Doug

On 2/6/2015 8:21 AM, Jim Ruby wrote:
> If you only want to copy part of a url the f8 command still will copy the
> entire thing.
>
> Outlook 2007
> We 9.0
> Win 7 x 64
>
> url example is http://test.com/indexjunk.htm
> 1 go to beginning to url
> 2 f8
> 3 right arrow to say the end of the base url http://test.com/
> 4 f8
> 5 copy
>
> Go paste it and you get
> http://Test.com/indexjunk.htm
>
> still added stuff that you did not want.
>
> If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender
> only. If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is
> related to GW Micro, then please consider sending your message to
> gw-i...@gwmicro.com so the entire list will receive it.
>
> GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can

If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only.
If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to
GW Micro, then please consider sending your message to gw-i...@gwmicro.com so
the entire list will receive it.

GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can manage

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 09:48:20 +0100
Joe Paton via Talk <talk@lists.window-eyes.com> wrote:

Alan,

What application are you using where you are selecting text?

I note you are using windows live mail, is this where you are having problems?

Thanks.

Joe

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 00:22:36 -0400
via Talk <talk@lists.window-eyes.com> wrote:

Good  evening all,

It seems that whenever I try to select text using the shift end key, in window
eyes, I hear a windows tone sound, and nothing gets selected.  For example, if
I try to select the email address of this list, I'll put my cursor on the first
letter, then do a shift end key too select the text of the email address, then
do a control C to copy it too the clipboard.  But then when I do a control V to
paste it into  the to field, in an email message, it won't get pasted.  If
anyone here has any suggestions or advice as to what I might be doing wrong,
Could you please provide  me with  step by step instructions on how I might fix
this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Al Cutolo

Joe Paton <j...@vi-ability.demon.co.uk>