Try this:

The first combobox on the screen, is the one where you fine-tune what group to search in. Or, should we say, what category. Nevertheless, the Editbox for the search entry, is located just prior to this combobox. So, when the page opens, hit C to go to the first combobox. Press Enter to turn off browse mode. Then Shift-Tab once, and you should be in the edit field for entering your query. Mind you, the behavior shows up even on my win7, WE8.4 system. Seems to be a behavior caused by one of the cookies from EBay themselves, since it behaved slightly more normally, when I blocked some of the cookies. Yet, that again caused me less functionality, so decided to rather deal with the inconvenience.

hth,

David