Hi Bud,

There's much I could say about buying a new PC, and this is because I just
got a new one a week or so ago.
My previous OS was Windows 7 and now I'm using Windows 10, which made sense
to me, given that all my hardware is new.
It was recommended by my tech person to get a SSD drive, that is, a solid
state drive, for the drive where Windows runs and the programs are
installed, since these run very fast compared to spinning disks.
So, I got a 250 GB drive for the OS and then additional drives to store my
media and documents.
I got a quad-core processor, again, for speed, and 16 GB RAM in case I want
to run virtual machine software like VMWare or Virtual Box.
As for Windows 10, I like it a lot, and the only real difference from
Windows 7 which is a bit of a pain in the behind is that, like the current
modern versions of Office, you have to use a ribbon to do many of the file
management configuration operations; however, since this is not normally
something you have to do very often, that is, configuring settings, you can
live with it.
Many of the commands are identical, for example, responding to the U.A.C
prompt using Alt-Y.
One thing you have to get used to however is that, when you paste a file to
a location which already has the same filename present, you will be
confronted with two buttons, namely, skip or replace, and I had to arrow
between them before I realized that, indeed, they were buttons, and,
previously in Windows 7, you could tab between them, and not true in Windows
10.
There are many other little peculiarities in Windows 10, but they are pretty
minor overall, and, given that you're pretty smart, I don't think you'll
have much trouble.
Feel free to write off-list as well, if you wish. smile

Good luck,

Rod