Life is hard enough. I don't choose to knowingly inflict myself with any more hardship. At some point Windows 10 and Window-Eyes will be a smooth transition. And I'm pretty sure this world isn't going to implode on me in the meantime for not jumping on the proverbial wagon the day it was introduced. I'll survive in neanderthal land.

Regards,
Tom

On 8/12/2015 10:09 PM, gary melconian wrote:
Agree with all of your points.  So we either have to adopt it or be on older
technologies.

-----Original Message-----
From: Talk [mailto:talk-bounces+gmelconian619=gmail....@lists.window-eyes.com]
On Behalf Of Tom Kingston via Talk
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:01 PM
To: tchild <tch...@mediacombb.net>; Window-Eyes Discussion List
<talk@lists.window-eyes.com>
Subject: Re: Microsoft and accessibility

Google is your friend. Do a little research and you'll see a long list of
problems with Windows 10 and Edge for the sighted folks as well. A recent
update sent some systems into an eternal rebooting cycle. Sony is telling their
laptop users not to update. And on and on it goes.

Initial releases of operating systems and something all new like Edge have
always been buggy for everyone.

Look at iOS 8. Its initial release was an absolute disaster. But Apple had set
the date and had to put it out with the new iPhones. And that is more or less
the case with every developer. Nothing will ever be perfect, and certainly not
optimal upon release. If they strove for that unobtainable goal nothing would
ever be released.

Edge is, overall, a leap for Microsoft. And it's really more like a beta
release at this point. It doesn't support extensions, not even Microsoft's own
SilverLight, some pages don't render correctly, transferring favorites from
other browsers is a hit or miss, and on and on. The biggest rave reviewers
ramble on about is its page load time.
And they're talking about benchmark improvements in speed that are measured in
milliseconds. And like politicians they can twist the numbers and say Edge
loads pages one third faster than chrome or Firefox. But are you really going
to notice a performance increase of one tenth of one second, especially when
your screen-reader has to do a boatload of work just to get started on that
page?

We'll get access over time. But be realistic. We are not and never will be at
the top of any developer's priority list other than that of screen-reader
developers. This has been the case since day one and always will be. It's a
simple and unavoidable dictate of doing business, no matter what kind of
business you're running. If you want to stay in business you cater to the
concerns and desires of your main customer base. Period. And we have three
other browsers to choose from. So we lose nothing.

Regards,
Tom