Hi Gail,
This might help- copy:
I'd like to share some info, which I have posted before, but is worth repeating,
with regards  to losing sound.
Firstly, with regards to the ding sound which is generated by the windows operating
system.
I some times lose sound after hearing the ding sound.
This happens in explorer, Firefox, internet explorer, wordpad, notepad.
My solution:
I unplug the usb connection for my headset, and WE7.2 starts speaking via my external
speakers.  I then replug my usb headset and everything is back to normal.
In this case, windows lost sound to my headset, which is a known bug to all windows
operating systems.
Now, another known bug for all windows operating systems is that keyboard stops functioning. I use a wireless keyboard, and when I lose sound, I hit windows key on my usb keyboard
and sometimes my sound is back.
In this case, my wireless keyboard stopped functioning.
Now, sometimes the usb keyboard is not responding either.
In this case, I unplug the usb keyboard and wait for a ding sound, and then I replug the usb keyboard, and this sometimes does the trick, and keyboard is working again.
However, sometimes the lost of sound is caused by a WE7.2 crash.
In this case, I use a batch file to unload all three gwmicro programs, and restart
WE7.2, and I am back to normal.
Here is the instruction on how to create this batch file:

download pskill from:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896683
:
then copy and paste
pskill.exe
c:\windows
copy the following:
pskill wineyes.exe
pskill gwm32.exe
pskill speech32.exe
pskill bdisplay.exe
to a notepad document, and save it as:
kill_we.bat
then create a short-cut to the batch file and place it on the desktop.
then right click on the short-cut and press r for property
then tab to hot key and give it a hot key.
I use control alt k which stands for kill WE-- smile.

Good Luck, Manny please help me reach a million clicks by forwarding my stand-up comedy performance to your friends, or Tweet or Facebook it. ** ** ** ** ** **http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75fbevlz10g ** ** ** ** ** computer specifications: Window Eyes 8.4, Dell xps420 Windows 7 home premium, with dual boot to windows 8.1, with start8 from: www.stardock.com with 8 gb RAM, Intel q6600 quad core drivers and software updated software recommended: Firefox, Thunderbird, security: Microsoft security essential, Malware Bytes pro, Win Patrol, Roboform,