From: Talk [mailto:talk-bounces+cgrabowski=aisquared....@lists.window-eyes.com]
On Behalf Of David via Talk
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:08 PM
To: WE English Mailinglist <t...@window-eyes.com>
Subject: Info On Developing Accessible Webpages?

I have a situation here, where a local website is totally inaccessible with a
screen reader. Since it is in a Locale language, I am ready to say it would be
of little meaning to provide any link for the page, besides, you would need
some login info to get there. OK, still I wonder if someone could please point
me in a bit of a direction.

I want to give some info to the webmaster, on good developing practices, when
building accessible websites. I am NO webdeesigner myself, and the little I
have learned about the HTML or any other web-based development, likely won't be
of any help at all to the people behind this product. So my big query to you
all, would be if there is any good place on the net, to which I could point
them for further teaching. One thing is to get to a place that might give some
general terms, like "remember to put text on all buttons on the site", but I am
afraid that will be a bit too general for them to even bother redesigning their
product. What I hoped for, though, would be a place on the net, where you would
get more filling instructions - maybe even would be provided real-life examples
and sample code - for how to build good, properly working websites for the
visually impaired.I do know, there is a number of "web-design-teaching"
providers out there. In generally my impression of them is that they do know
little about accessibility, or at least don't cover it very well. Anyone here
having a clue of a good place to point the designers to?

Sure, I could have let them take a look on places like AISquare's homepage, to
let them see what it would look like. first of all, it would not tell them a
thing about how to accomplish the results we're asking, secondly, their product
is a different beast. It is more of an Online Restaurant, where you supposedly
are to pick and choose from some drop-down menus, and if you click your mouse
on some of the text, you will see what the individual dish is holding for
ingredienes. For one thing, WE does not recognize anything to click on, neither
does NVDA.
And you are not able to discern what you have marked out as rdered. They tell
that colors should mark what is supposed to be clickable, but how does that
help a visually impaired? And so forth. As you may understand, totally useless
the way it is designed right now.

I am already in dialog with the people, just need some educational material to
help them out in understanding both what we need for a design, and how to
practically attain such a website. Thanks for all ideas and pointers you may
have for us.