You can just change them to the regular mode by pressing function key escape. If you want to have them go back to the way they are now, do it again. It's a toggle. Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Chip Orange via Talk
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 12:27 PM
To: Karyn Campbell ; Window-Eyes Discussion List
Subject: RE: laptops and window-eyes

Hi Karyn,

If the problem is just the function keys, it seems likely you could create a script for Window-eyes which sent the keystroke for the "real" function key each time a Lenovo function key was pressed (you'd lose this bit of extra functionality, being able to do whatever these function keys did which was unusual if you implemented such a script, but it would undo whatever Lenovo had done if there was no other way to handle it).

I'd guess there's a piece of Lenovo keyboard software which let you modify how the keyboard works, and it of course would be easier than writing your own script.

I also found, and have installed on my pc at home, a free keyboard mapping utility which let you make registry changes which controlled what keycodes were sent when each key on the keyboard was pressed. This is likely what Lenovo has done when shipping these pcs, so with this utility you could essentially reverse it. I used this utility on my Dell laptop because it had no applications key, which is a lot easier to use than shift-f10 when you want a context menu. I used the utility to take some unused key on my keyboard and make it send the keycode for an applications key instead. I may not have time until this weekend, but I could try and track down the name of this utility and post it here if anyone has need of it (or you might find it just by googling on windows keyboard remap and other such terms).

Chip

Chip Orange
Florida Public Service Commission
Computer Systems Analyst