Linda,

It may be a utility of some sort that loads at start up and is then minimized to the system tray. I have one of these for my audio interface that I hear every time I reboot before it's minimized to the tray. Try Insert-S and see if it's in that list of the system tray.

I just Googled it and there's an event manager for Epson printers/scanners.

Hth,
Tom