Well, both the Dell laptops I bought allowed you to disable the tougchpad permanently. Someone sighted can reenable it if they need it. On my older Dell laptop, I could make adjustments to the touchpad myself with Window Eyes, so rather than permanently disable it, I reduced the sensitivity so that it wouldn't go off whenever I made the slightest touch with my wrists while typing. However, unfortunately, my newer laptop's touchpad is not accessible via Window Eyes, so whenever I need to get sighted assistance, which isn't often, and they want to use the touchpad, I just ask them to disable it when they're done. I'm not even sure it has a sensitivity adjustment like the older one did. But since I rarely need to enable it, it's just as well to be disabled.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Karyn Campbell via Talk
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2015 10:29 AM
To: 'Window-Eyes Discussion List'
Subject: RE: need laptop suggestions

With an HP Pavilion, you have to disable the track pad in each session. That
means every time you log on you must disable the track pad as there is no
known way to permanently disable that annoying thing.  I think it has to be
done in the properties somewhere.  My husband knows how to do it so he would
have to explain that one.

I would absolutely stay away from Lenovo.  Those are  no good IMO as the F
keys across the top perform media functions; not the traditional functions.
Also to shut Window-Eyes down is a four-key combination of
ctrl-insert-function key-F4.  Before someone pipes up about function-escape
to reverse the F keys, I don't know if that is a permanent fix or a emporary
one.  I'm betting it's a temporary one that has to be done every time  you
log on to the machine.

Thanks.

Karyn Campbell, Illinois USA, karyn1...@gmail.com
Using WE 9.2  on HP Pavilion laptop running Windows 8.1 home premium 64-bit
with Office 2013 and IE 11 as well as Acer netbook running Windows 7  home
premium 64-bit with Office 2007 and IE 11 and Microsoft Windows Defender
onAcer netbook as well as Macaffee Live Safe on HP Pavilion.

Support the Illinois Council of the Blind at our GoFundMe page:
www.gofundme.com/icb2015.

For membership options, visit http://lists.window-eyes.com/options.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com/mentat1%40dslextreme.com. For subscription options, visit http://lists.window-eyes.com/listinfo.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com List archives can be found at http://lists.window-eyes.com/private.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com