Hi Larry:
Did you check which synthe you are using?  If it is a licensed one
like Eloquence, it will be in demo mode unless you have license for
that synth.
Your best bet is to switch to Espeak and then try Window-eyes.  If it
is no longer in demo mode, then you can look for one that sounds
better.  Actually, I am runnning espeak as I speak, (smile), and I
have gotten used to it.
Kevin Huber