Hmmm, I just got an iPad Mini 4 a couple weeks ago, my first foray into the Apple world. But from my admittedly still somewhat limited experience, I don't think Microsoft's Narrator is in the same league of accessibility as VoiceOver.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Thomas via Talk
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:48 AM
To: 'Window-Eyes Discussion List'
Subject: Computer Accessibility

This is all my personal opinion based on watching business and industry over
many years, it may or not be correct - take it for what it is worth.
Accessibility for the disabled is a result of political pressure on large
companies since it is an additional time / money cost.
Less political pressure, less accessibility over time.
Microsoft has been, in the past, very accessible from the design of their OS
to products they Produced due to both past political pressures and Mr. Gates
personal internal company humanistic pressures.
Google and other major vendors have done just enough to keep them out of
government and public opinion cross-hairs.
Apple followed the Microsoft plan but is seeing its phones selling weaker
along with tablets and other hardware and will likely follow Google and
Microsoft away from built-in accessibility hooks on their products, I.B.M.
also comes to mind, doing just enough to stay out of government and media
limelights.
You old-timers may remember I have noted all this in the past when
Silverlight came out and Microsoft said they would make it accessible some
day, when they pushed out their inaccessible cell phones and now I mention
this again as Microsoft again pushes out an inaccessible product - the Edge
Browser without any serious government ramifications.
Postponing or eliminating accessibility allows these companies to push out
new product faster and at a lower cost, what do they gain for the outsized
costs of making product accessible to small groups where the cost / benefit
analysis says that group is negative from a profit standpoint?
Accessibility like freedom needs constant vigilance and action when
necessary me thinks.
Rick USA

For membership options, visit http://lists.window-eyes.com/options.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com/mentat1%40dslextreme.com. For subscription options, visit http://lists.window-eyes.com/listinfo.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com List archives can be found at http://lists.window-eyes.com/private.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com