This is just my personal opinion. So take it for what it's worth.

Edge accessibility will come. Microsoft is not going to force us to use only Edge as someone on this list likes to say.

Regarding searching from the Cortana search box? Yes, that is tied to Edge now. But for me, so what. My browser is pinned to the Task bar and my home page is Google. So when I press Windows+1 IE opens, Google loads, I'm in the search box, and browse mode toggles off. So I press one key combination, type my text, hit enter, and I've got my results without anything else in my start menu or on my system. Yes, it may take me a second or two longer. but on the other hand, I can activate a link and then hit Alt-Left arrow to go back to the search results. I don't know why this fly is turning into a vulture that's threatening civilization as we know it. ;)

Regards,
Tom