Hi Tom,
I just got a chance to do some testing on the Delta home page. I focused my
testing on the Passengers combo box/drop down that is used to select how many
tickets you want to purchase. I found that user experience is much better in
Firefox than in Internet Explorer. This is because Firefox and Window-Eyes
currently do a better job of handling custom controls that are implemented
using the Accessible Rich Information Application (ARIA) specification. And,
this particular Passengers combo box was built using ARIA.
Using Windows 8.1, Window-Eyes 9.4 and the latest version of Firefox I was able
to successfully locate the Passengers combo box, and after turning browse mode
off, I was able to select the number of passengers using Up and Down Arrow. The
only information that isn't announced by Window-Eyes is the name of the combo
box when Browse Mode is on. So, I just heard "combo box" after I landed on the
Passengers combo box when navigating with single letter navigation in Browse
Mode. For example, the second time I pressed C, I just heard Combo Box. As soon
as I turned Browse Mode off, Window-Eyes properly announced the name of the
combo box when I moved focus to it with Tab or Shift-Tab. I think this issue
might be a bug in Browse Mode and will report it to the Window-Eyes engineering
team.
So, I would recommend using Firefox when trying to interact with the Delta
website as well as others that use ARIA to implement custom form controls.
Regarding the Delta text-only website, in my experience text-only sites don't
always offer the same content and features as the main site. My hope is that
you will be able to successfully complete your tasks on the main site using
Firefox and Window-Eyes.
HTH,
Marc