Hi Bob

Let me recommend a twitter app made by the blind called TW Blue. Like i mentioned it's made by the blind for the blind so of course, it's going to work right out of the box, no extra scripts or anything necessary. It might be a bit of a different concept than you're used to, but the upshoot is that you let the app run in the background and as your tweets come in, you can use different keystrokes to read them from anywhere within windows itself. On windows 7 and 8.1 systems, you use control plus windows plus up and down arrow to read your tweets, and on windows 10, it's alt plus windows plus any other command you want to do. Like I say the documentation is very complete, so be sure to check that out.
It's absolutely free, and you can grab a copy from
http://www.twblue.es
the site and app are made by someone who speaks spanish, but they also understand English very well so if you have any problems he should be able to help you.
If you try it, let us know how it goes.