Dave,

the only stupid questions are those we don't ask.

Portable Document format (PDF) was developed to be document and platform independent long before Office was a virtual monopoly. So you could read a PDF document regardless of your operating system and what Office suite you used.

I remember clearly when Office was a joke and the vast majority of people and businesses used WordPerfect. And I don't think much higher of Office today. But I digress.

Hth,
Tom