From: Talk [mailto:talk-bounces+cgrabowski=aisquared....@lists.window-eyes.com]
On Behalf Of David via Talk
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:14 PM
To: Dave <dlh...@centurylink.net>; Window-Eyes Discussion List
<talk@lists.window-eyes.com>; Kevin Minor <kmino...@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: Reminiscing about old Screen Readers and Synthesizers

Well, would be a great thing for the VFO team, to get their resources together
and make such a thing possible. Let's get a box that you connect to the
external display connector on the back of your computer.
Let the box have something like 4, or even 8 GB of RAM, enough to hold your
screen reader, all apps and settings, and if necessary a secondary screen
reader. Let the box have a USB connectorr, for updating the onboard software,
when new releases come out.

Now, feed the box with all the info from the screen directly, and let it
process that info. Gone would be all the internal conflicts with Windows,
Office or any other software not leaving the screen reader access to the screen
content. The box would basically just be operating like an OCR of the screen
content, at any given moment. All controlling could either be done by dedicated
keys on the box, or you could (first the OS is loaded), let the user control it
by keystrokes on the keyboard, which would be send to it either wirelessly, or
through an USB cable.

You now could operate the Bios, fool around with cheap alternatives to Office,
like modern versions of WordPerfect (which many of us old-timers enjoyed). Or,
you could finally go free, and install things like OpenOffice. Should you, for
whatever reason want to go for any other OS than Windows, you just run Linux or
whatever. Since the box would interpret signals sent to the display, it would
no longer depend on one OS in particular.

OH, WELL! Still dreams of tomorrow are permitted, ain't they? Trouble is, if
they invented such a unit, they would have done something really great. And
that is not going to happen, my guess goes.

I do know, that at least one of the German Braille displays, back in the late
80's/early 90's - the Braillo display - had a board inserted into the computer,
and would be up running even at BIOS level, long before anything booted. Used
to have that one, numerous years ago, and was able to set up computers from
scratch for my customers. Then came all the laptops, with no wa of installing
such an extension board, and gone was the whole idea. Today, with fast
processors, well-established OCR technology, and cheap memory - a Screen
Connector-based box, should be possible for the dreamers. And maybe would have
boosted the market for the screen reader industry.

David