Robin,

What you can access with speech, you also can access with Braille.

What you can access with Braille, you also can access with Speech.

Having those main rules established, let me point out a few differences.

First of all, if you are a trained Braille user, you might find Braille
navigation some quicker. Mainly due to the fact that you don't have to
wait for the words to be spoken out, but simply can touch the display
rapidly, and instantly recognize the term you are looking for.
Furthermore, it is far easier to align text with a Braille display,
since you  instantly will know where on the line the text is placed,
whereas with speech you will have to listen to the status line, or other
ways of getting the placement info. And that leads us to yet another
benefit with the Braille display.

Say you are looking for the third info given on a line. With speech, you
will have to listen through the two preceeding pieces of info, before
you can get to the info you actually were looking for. Or, you would
have to move the speech cursor across them. whichever way, you will have
to pass the info, to get to the point where you want to be. With the
Braille display, and first you get to know your applications and their
typical positions of info, you can just put your fingers right on the
spot, read the info, and continue your job.

Backside of the postcard, of course, would be that with speech you can
keep your hands on the keyboard all the time, since all navigation is
done by the PC keyboard. With a Braille display you have got a secondary
set of navigation keys, located on the display, to move it around.
Causing your hands to fly on and off the computer keyboard all the time.
If you are good at orientating yourself around, in general, this should
not be a big issue. But some people take a considerable amount of time
in refinding the initial position on the keyboard, with your
index-fingers place on F and J. Through a working day, your fingers will
likely have to move between the display and the keyboard hundreds of
times. If you spend just three seconds in repositioning your fingers on
the keyboard every time, you can do your math, figuring how many minutes
of productivity that would amount into. Again, it would depend on your
personal skills.

Furthermore, the Braille display might give slightly different info,
from what you hear. For instance, in cases with abbreviations. The
speech might attempt to read them out, whereas with the Braille display,
the whole and complete interpretation is up to you. So when you come
across the three letter abbreviation ETC, the speech might read "Et
Cetra", whilst the Braille display just will show you the three letters.
In that way, the Braille display will be slightly more in line with what
and how things are presentetd on the screen.

For many users, the combination of Braille and speech will speed up
their productivity, with some training. Mainly because they will learn
to appreciate each of the reading methods, for each teir activity on the
computer. Meaning, sometimes you will lean on the Braille, other cases
the speech will be your best friend. Reading and comprehending a lengthy
link, will be far quicker with braille. To discern if you have landed on
the right button to be pressed, the speech will inform you without you
moving your hands off from the keyboard, hence you will rely on your ears.

Also, please be forewarned, the braille display typically will sitt
between you and the keyboard. This will cause you to have to stretch
your arms another 2 or 3 inches, to reach the keyboard for typing. Some
models even have all the navigation keys of the display located between
the Braille line, and the keyboard, forcing yet another inch of hand
stretching to reach the keyboard.

If I may be allowed to advice, please get a Braille display where the
navigation keys ar not between you and the keyboard. Many users will
find it frustrating, when they are typing, resting their wrist on the
Braille display, and all the sudden incidentially pressing one of the
navigation keys on the display. Alternative is to always keep your
wrists raised off from the display all together, whenever typing. But
for prolonged time through the working day, this can cause stress to
your muscles and joints. The issue will be well known to all laptop
users, who have got exceptionally frustrated by the mouse-pad being
located between them and the keyboard. The exact same effect with a set
of Braille navigation keys.

Hope some of these personal experiences and pickups, will stand as at
least one answer to your query.

David