Dave,

This is very strange because the NVDA install would have sent speech to your default output. And yet you are hearing system sounds which will be through the default output. So it should be working.

But you can check in the control panel if you haven't yet to make sure the default device is what you want.

You can open the mixer with Windows-R for the run dialog, type SndVol.exe, and press enter.

I'm not sure if Windows-Enter runs Narrator on Windows 7. Just for the heck of it try Windows-R, type Narrator, and hit enter.

Hth,
Tom