In addition to Rod's suggestion, here's an article written by Jeremy Curry
several years ago.  I assume it applies to later versions of Microsoft
Office as well.
Rebecca
 Here's the link, with the text below.

http://www.gwmicro.com/Support/Knowledge_Base/?kbnumber=GWKB2049

 GWKB2049 - Exit Protected View In Microsoft Office

 Jeremy Curry

 Date Added

 : 12/02/2013

 Last Modified

 : 12/02/2013

 When a document is in Protected View, you will not be able to read or edit

 the document.  When this happens, you will hear "Protected View" announced

 after the file name.  Documents will open in Protected View if Office 2010

 or 2013 determine that the file originated from the internet or a

 potentially unsafe location (such as a shared folder on your local network

 or an email attachment).  To exit Protected View, perform the following

 steps:

 1.    Press F6

 2.    Tab to the Enable Editing button

 3.    Press Enter

 If you find that the above steps are not working for you, there is an

 alternate way to exit Protected View.  To use this method, perform the

 following steps:

 1.    Press Alt

 2.    Press F to open the File button

 3.    Press I to focus the Info tab

 4.    Press E to activate the Enable Editing button

 You will then exit Protected View and you can begin working with the

 document.  For a video tutorial on how to turn off Protected View, please

 visit
http://www.gwmicro.com/Training/Tutorials/
.

 Permanently Disable Protected View

 It is possible to completely turn off Protected View, so that you do not

 need to turn it off on a per document basis.  To permanently disable

 Protected View, perform the following steps:

 1.    Press Alt-F to open the File button

 2.    Press T to open Options

 3.    Down Arrow to Trust Center

 4.    Press Alt-T to activate the Trust Center Settings button

 5.    Down Arrow to Protected View

 6.    Tab to the Enable Protected View for files originating from the

 Internet check box

 7.    Press Space to uncheck the box

 8.    Tab to the Enable Protected View for files located in potentially

 unsafe locations check box

 9.    Press Space to uncheck the box

 10.    Tab to the Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments check box

 11.    Press Space to uncheck the box

 12.    Tab to the OK button

 13.    Press Enter and the Trust Center dialog will close

 14.    Tab to the OK button

   15.    Press Enter and the Word Options dialog will close