If you were treating this industry as a business, when would you make major
announcements?

The speculation from list members suggests close to your summer conventions -
NFB and ACB.

However: Freedom Scientific has a new 40 cell Braille notetaker coming out
later this year. I've already advised my dealer that I'm interested in the new
Focus line of displays, also coming out later this year. I love braile, and the
screen reader which provides the best Braile   support for me is not
Window-Eyes.  And: I gave it plenty of chances.  Optelec are involved, and of
course, Focus is synonomous with JFW and Braille.

Why have they decided to link Braille developments  with JFW - not Window-Eyes?

Ai Squared has a poor track record when it comes to Braille of any sort.
Perhaps that might change with a new device incorporating Window-Eyes?  But if
so - why would VFO set up two rival devices in what is a small market.

The organisations AI and FS are no longer competitors.  VFO has already taken
the best that the three separate organisations can offer, and put them to work
on a product range with JFW at the centre.
  I do agree with many who have said that this does not seem to be in the best
interests of end users, but life isn't always kind either!

Vaughan.