At 04:05 PM 5/16/2017, Amanda Lee via Talk wrote:
>I totally agree here.  All of this is so bittersweet.  I was here at work
>and it was difficult not to cry.  I have worked with various of the staff at
>GW Micro closely over the years on beta testing and qualified an agency for
>the blind as a dealer awhile back.  I will so miss Window-Eyes and how
>responsive it is and how attentive Doug and others are to our suggestions.
>I have stronger thoughts too which I will withhold as I don't want to flame
>here.  Still, this is so difficult to accept.  If this were a large
>corporate organization, there would be other possibilities as a means to
>protest and that's the strongest statement I'll make.  I just wish I could
>wake up tomorrow morning and realize this wasn't so.

I'm unsure of the legalities involved in reclaiming or transferring rights to Window-eyes' code, now that it is VFO's property. I'm sure it would be quite costly, if at all legally possible. However, I can only suppose that other accessibility companies or burgeoning entrepreneurs may be able to do this. No one from Gwmicro has addressed their reasons for the buyout, except for vague statements about overall benefits to the accessibility community. While I understand wanting to retire or even needing to be bought out in order to avoid bankruptcy, I don't understand the logic of locking up perfectly good code for no one to use. It would be like a manufacturer burning rather than selling its inventory.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and Pedagogue
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090
Email: of...@verizon.net