In Window-Eyes, as we arrowed down through a list of folders or files, W-E
would give the position of the selected item in the list:

1 of 50, 15 of 50, 40 of 50, etc.

I also have my verbosity setting in Kurzweil set to give me this information
as well, just because I was used to having it in W-E.

In JAWS, by pressing the insert-up arrow keys for "say current line," JAWS
would give me a position.  The same with insert-tab.  But I found that the
information was often incorrect. The insert-page down keys would always tell
me correctly that there were 50 items.

There is no "count" option listed in the quick settings menu when in File
Explorer.

Presumably W-E and JAWS access information in different ways, so I went
prowling around looking for a possible solution. IN Documents, I went to the
file menu, folder options, then to the view tab.  In the tree view of
settings, there is a checkbox for "show all folders".  Mine was not checked.
When I checked this, JAWS gets the position right.  I'm using the Fall
Creator, first 1703 and now 1709.  I can't say what is available in earlier
versions of Windows.

Perhaps most people will find the item position of no value, but some
migrating from W-E might miss it.  Smile.

This is just my solution and perhaps there is another setting somewhere in
JAWS that would take care of this.  I'm still learning, so if there is,
please pass it along.

Just thought this might be of interest.

Rebecca

Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to
you.

Aldous Huxley