Suppose you stick with Thunderbird.

Go ahead and install Thunderbird on your new computer, like you would
normally do. One good source to get the newest version, would be Ninite,
and there you actually can build a complete installer that will get your
favorite applications onto the new computer, altogether in one turn.

After installing Thunderbird, do as follows:

1. On your old system, Open Windows Explorer.

2. Hit Alt-D, to get to the address bar.

3. Enter the following:

     %appdata%

including the percent signs, and press Enter.

4. Scroll down to the Thunderbird folder, and copy the whole folder, by
hitting Ctrl-C.

5. Point your Windows Explorer to an external drive, like a USB pen. You
can for instance go to the address bar, by Alt-D, and enter things like:
     e:
or,
     x:
which would be the drive letter, followed by a colon, and then Enter.
6. once in the Explorer window of your external drive, press Ctrl-V, to
paste the whole Thunderbird folder. Give it enough time to finishing the
copying.

Now, bring out your new system, and copy the Thunderbird folder, into
the %appdata%-folder there. It already has such a folder, due to you
already having Thunderbird installed there. So when you are asked if you
want to replace the folder on your new system, make sure you answer YES
to ALL such queries.

Once  the copying process has ended, start Thunderbird on your new
computer, and enjoy. Not only will it copy all your settings, but also
will have migrated your email accounts, your addressbook, and all your
mails. If you have the mails sorted on your old system, they will be
similarly sorted on your new computer. And your new computer will be all
up-to-date, on which was the last mail you read, and so forth. In other
words, you have made a true copy of all your mail setup, and can
continue right from there.

The process is that amazingly simple, once you have got the hook of it,
that it might serve as a good way for you to make frequent and regular
backups of yor mail.

Should you not have an External drive, you might be able to do the same
operation on a blank DVD. Or, if you have enough space on a cloud drive,
you could go that route as well, though I would be careful in putting
any private mails up on the cloud, no matter how temporarily. Thing is,
it should be done the very same way, no matter the media you use for the
transport.

Hope this gave you, and others, a pointer in the right direction. I do
have no idea about Thunderbird over other mail clients, but if you are
used to Thunderbird, why not simply stick with what works?

On 12/12/2017 5:19 PM, Carol and Roger via Talk wrote:> Hi, \ I now have
my new computer.  I wonder if anyone can tell me how
 > to backup all of my folders and email messages so I can move them.  I
 > made a csv backup file for all of my contacts.  If I move my email
 > messages, am I restricted to use TB or would I be able to use
 > Microsoft Mail?  Also, which would be better for me to use? Thanks.
 >
 > Carol

archives can be found at
 > http://lists.window-eyes.com/private.cgi/talk-window-eyes.com .

hings