If we want to take you even one step further into the modern age, have
you considered using a Bluetooth headset?

You can get a bluetooth receiver, which you plug into your computer's
USB port, and which only sticks out about half an inch from the
computer, It can even be plugged into one of the ports on the backside
of your unit, though not necessarily recommended. You then could get a
Bluetooth headset, the kind they use for cellphones and mobile devices
now aday. Some of these models are quite nice sounding, they are very
light-weighted, and they would give you the flexibility of going all
wireless. You then would have no cables running cross your desk, and you
could even sit in your couch while dictating.

Bluetooth receivers for the USB, could be picked up for less than 10
dollars, and a good Bluetooth headset, might be had from 15-20 dollars
and up.

The battery on the Bluetooth models might of course be an issue, as they
tend to last anything from 2 to 5 hours of speech. But they are not all
that expensive, so if you find one you like, you might consider picking
up two, having one in use, the other on charge. Even some of the models,
can be used while charging, though you then would have a USB cable for
the charging. All depends on how long sessions you do your dictation,
and other listening.

Also, just for your reminder. If you decide to go for seperate units
altogether, like one mic, and one headset - there are to be had very
cheap, extremely sensitive microphones. I picked up a handful a while
back, costing me 99 cents a piece. They were that sensitive, they picked
up even activity in the room next to where I was sitting, though the
door was all closed. May not be what you are looking for, but just
wanted to point out that on computers you can get a good amount of nice
microphones, for quite cheap money. It could be a cheaper way to get a
complete solution, than to find a headset with both good sound, and a
good microphone.

Lastly, I do know that not all mics for the computer are anything good.
Have heard some of the Librivox recordings, done by people around the
globe. Some have never learned to use a microphone, others are not
natively speaking English. It might be a challenge in itself, though
they definitely should be thanked for their hard work and good
intentions. Yet, long as they are on a microphone that simply is not
capable of picking up a human voice in its full, the audiobook might
sometimes loose listeners, due to way too bad sound quality.