Though I too think it is sad to see WinEyes is going to go down the
drain, we have to face the fact.

Yet, some of you have promoted the idea, that someone, at some point of
time, would get hold of the code, and then resurrect the screen reader.
True, it is a mere dream. Likely that code might not even exist any
longer, and would be so deeply loaded with restrictions and copyright,
should it ever exist, that noone wants to touch it. Smiles.

But, let\s for a moment do some dreaming. Is it really that easy? You
just go and get hold of the code, and then you can sit down and continue
such a project?

Two things to be considered. The simplest first.

When writing a program, you use something named a programming language.
That is, you canot sit down and simply tell the computer:

  "Read to me"

on one line, and on the next:

     "all the screen contant."

You have to do maybe a hundred lines of coding, or more, to perform this
rather "simple task". First of all, you need code to establish contact
between your program, and the rest of the system. Then, you have to
specify which of the many screens, or windows, that are currently opened
on your computer, should actually talk to your program and provide its
screen contents. Then, you have to let the computer know it has a speech
synth installed, and which of its five voices you want contact with.
And, you have to process the text that comes from the screen, to have it
spoken the way that it all makes sense. For instance, if it is a list or
table, you might have to let the screen reader do its reading one column
at a time. You cannot just read from left to right - line by line.
Finally, if you have passed all those hoops, you will have to let your
screen reader interact with the controls on the screen, meaning yet
another five hundred lines of coding. But you are a driven programmer,
and have your clear ideas - so the job is done with a few hundred hours
of writing, testing and modifying the code.

You now have your code ready. It is readable - with more or less human
words. But the computer does not understand human language. So you have
to perform a translation, into a language that the computer can handle.
This is named

     Compilation.

The compiled version of your work, will be little - if any -
comprehendable to a human. If you want to see what it looks like, here
is the fun of your afternoon:

     Open any .exe file in your text editor, and enjoy the novel.

If you don't know how to, let us know, and someone will instruct you how
to do it.

The first thing that someone - who would get the idea of continuing a
software project would have to be aware of, is whether we can get hold
of the program text code - the kind of human-languaged files; or if we
only can get the compiled version. With only the compiled version, you
will be very badly off.

Hey, you might ask:

With all the many coders, and decoders out there, doesn't there exist
some kind of a decoder for this job? First, it would likely be illegal
should such be the case, and secondly, it might not be possible. My
teacher in college, many years back, gave this short answer when the
question came up.

     "You can bake bread from grain, but you cannot grow grain from bread."

Once the code has been compiled, it is available for the computer, and
would make little sense to others.

Second fact in our dream world, is the job of picking up where someone
has left.

You who have never programmed, let's do it all in an everyday example:

Are you a parent? Have you ever had the experience of your child
bringing her sewing - or knitting - project to you?

     "Mom, I don't understand what went wrong."

And you, spent the rest of the hour, trying to figure why things went
wrong. And perhaps you even tried to talk over with your daughter how
she reached this point, hoping at least to grasp an idea of the thinking
behind her actions.

If you are no parent, have you tried to start up your computer, and
tried to learn a new piece of software. What sense does it make, that
you have to press Ctrl-X, to cut, and Ctrl-V to paste some text. There
is no X in the word "cut", and to my knowledge you have no English word
for pasting, that holds the letter V. OK, explain the logic. Tell how it
all came around. Inform us please, what was the reasoning behind this
set of keystrokes. In this particular example, you might be able to, but
what about all the other keystrokes. Anyone happen to know the story
behind why we have the at-sign in our email addresses? You would not be
able to guess, but it has its real story.

My point here is:

If you should happen to get hold of the program code of the screen
reader - which likely will hold hundreds of thousands (if not even
millions) of lines of code - you likely will have come no way at all.
Believe me, those who are used to programming, often call for Short,
Simple examples of coding. To kind of figure why a programmer has done
things this way, and to keep the overview of his coding at one point,
and how it connects with the coding five hundred lines earlier, or might
eventually get back to it in 1250 lines; well it is really a piece of a
cake to swallow. In many cases, it would be ten times faster, sitting
down and experiencing the behavior of the screen reader, figure your own
way of performing the job, and then writing brand new coding from there.
Think Tom described this pretty well, when he told us how he had to
figure what to do, to have his code interfere with NVDA.

Mind you, WinEyes does a couple more things, than just reading some
simple messages from the screen. How much would you be willing to pay a
staff, in just picking up where the people at GW left? It would have
cost half a year of crew, to figuring what, why and how the code was all
about. And you already might have to pay the copyright of the code. So
you still dream of a FREE version of the resurrected WinEyes? What is
gone, is cheapest to leave in the lost section. Who knows, maybe that is
why the new owners rather decided to drop the further project. Besides,
the way things was handled on computers five years back, might not even
be valid on modern systems. You now have spent millions of dollars, in
picking up on the project, just to realize it did take you nowhere. Keep
in mind, the way you program a computer, is just as different from the
programming of a cellphone or tablet, as English is different from
German, or Chinese. Getting the code for WinEyes MIGHT have helped you
in continuing it on the computer, but likely would be close to no help
at all, in generating it for the cellphone.

Google for one, has a software to translate between numerous human
languages. But try what you want, there is no translatiors that can
translate programming code from one program code, to the other. That is
from computer platform to the Android or Apple platforms. Some few
programming languages are somehow understandable on all platforms, and
are named cross-platform languages. But I am rather sure Window-Eyes
never was written under any of these, simply because they were not
around, in the earlier days of the developmen. And it would have meant a
total rewriting of the code, to transmit them into a cross-platform
language. Same goes with Jaws. NVDA is written in Python, which in its
basics is told to be cross-platformed. But as you were told, version 2
and 3 of Python does not speak the same dialect, so there goes your
dreams for a cross-platformed NVDA. Continue the list, whoever wants.
Dreams can be fun, and if you've got nothing else to spend the summer
on, fine with me. Smiles to you all.

David