Hi David,

Quicker than I expected, I found, downloaded, and installed Vinux.
Here's the URL with links to various distributions, of which I have only tried
the 64-bit version, since this is the type of computer I have:

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=vinux

Here's the URL to download the 64-bit version:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/vinuxproject/vinux-5.1-amd64.iso

This requires a 64-bit computer.
This is an ISO image which, normally, you would burn to a DVD, not a CD since
it is too large.
Once you boot the computer with the DVD, it comes up talking and immediately
gives you the option to install it on your system.
It will format the hard disk on your system to hold the operating system, which
is Linux Ubuntu.
I had only one hard disk attached to the virtual machine I installed it to, and
so I do not know precisely how I would choose the drive to which to install it
were I to have had more than one.
However, I assume it would default to the primary drive.
The installation procedure is quite straightforward, assuming speech comes up
for you at the outset.
If it does come up talking, you will be prompted to install it to your hard
disk immediately.

Here's a web page containing some useful keyboard shortcuts to Linux Ubuntu:

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-shortcuts/

Finally, here's a link to the documentation for the Orca screen reader which is
installed on the desktop of this version of Linux:

https://help.gnome.org/users/orca/stable/

As memory serves, when you open a terminal window on the Linux Gnome desktop,
another screen reader is in effect.
However, I do not believe the command set is essentially different since the
two screen readers are intended to work together, one being for the graphical
user interface of the Gnome desktop, whereas the other is intended for use in
the terminal.

Anyway, this should get you going, and you can let us know about any challenges
you might encounter.

Good luck,

Rod

Sent from Outlook for Windows