At 11:31 AM 2/20/2021, Richard Petty via Talk wrote:
>I too miss We terribly. So many things worked so well about WE and so many
>keystrokes and settings were well planned and well organized. There was a
>nice logic to commands the WE team developed and maintained over time. We
>was (and can still be) an outstanding program--three years beyond
>production.

I used Window-eyes for over 20 years and resisted the JAWS migration as much as every die-hard Window-eyes user. That said, JAWS does many things that Window-eyes never even tried to do, such as allow different voices for screen, cursor, keyboard and message, the use of speech&sound schemes and voice aliases.

>I'm gratified to learn Doug Geoffray and Jeremy Curry are still connected
>through affiliation with Microsoft. Their thoughtful leadership in access
>continues to be needed--and I hope and trust this means they have both done
>well past GW Micro and Ai Squared.

Their expertise is why Narrator is almost as useful as NVDA.

>All that being written, I have found using the JAWS laptop keyboard layout
>more comfortable--even on a full keyboard. This arrangement offers an added
>JAWS command key. With that addition and other laptop key combinations, it's
>possible for the user to issue more commands without having to move too
>terribly far from home row keys. That's made a big difference for me.

I concur.

>By the way, to improve my efficiency, I've taken this one step further: I've
>remapped my keyboard.
>* The Left Control Key is to the immediate left of the A Key.
>* To accommodate this change, I moved the CapsLock key to the left of the
>Spacebar
>.* The LeftAlt key is now at the lower left of the keyboard where the Left
>Control key previously was located.
>
>Decades ago, Microsoft did locate the Left Control key to the left of the A
>key, but inexplicably changed the configuration. As much as this key is used
>for navigation, I found it worthwhile to make the change. Key placements are
>now like those on the keyboards I first used with  computers. To make this
>change, I used the SharpKey utility developed by Randy Rantz. SharpKeys is a
>utility that changes the Windows Registry to make specified keys to "act
>like other keys" If you try it, be sure to make a backup of the Windows
>registry. Be very cautious and pay close attention as you work with the
>utility. It's not necessarily intuitive. Again, make a backup before
>changing the registry.
I'll never understand how some folks think. Rather than reassign the JAWS hotkeys you find awkward, you remapped your keyboard so that no one else can use it and you have to do it again after each Windows reinstallation or update?

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090