What finally turned me on to scripts was it showed up on a new machine I was installing stuff on. I ran nvda and wasn't there. reran we, and it was. removed we and reinstalled and it was o.k., so started looking through scripts. One called notepad2, which I thought was some kind of enhancement. Took me forever to find it. On Thu, 1 Jul 2021, Larry Higgins via Talk wrote:

Hey Butch, I actually intended to respond much earlier to your issue with Notepad, but happy you were able to finally figure out the source.

I had a similar issue with Thunderbird some time ago. I thought it was some how associated with Thunderbird itself, and kind of embarrassed myself a bit when asking members of the Thunderbird list how they might go about silencing a cute, but annoying sound affect of a loud thunderclap, along with a loudly tweeting bird I mean, this thing would some time even go off while using the program, or maybe when moving from one app to another with the alt-f4 keys. Of course, none on the list were experiencing this annoyance but me, and some were wishing that their version of Thunderbird would thunder and tweet at them like that.

Well, it didn't take me long to consider that a script might be responsible for the sound. So, I did a search through all .wav files on my system, and low and behold, I found the offending sound affect, and I proceeded to delete the sound with TotalRecorder, and insert silence where the thunderbird used to be, and all was well. Of course the script was TBEnhanced.

I must be getting a bit slow in my advanced age, because that incident didn't occur to me until others suggested that this might be the problem, or maybe you actually figured it out for yourself <smile>.

Anyway, just had to share that experience with you.