On 21/12/2007, Hanno Böck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Today I wondered how tags should be named if the used word can be american or
> british english (e.g. everything that contains centre/center in some way).
>
> I wouldn't care which one to take, but I think there should be some policy for
> that case.

well, the englishman in me gets indignant and says 'use the true
queen's english' of course....

but that starts lots of arguments and is ridiculous

i presume this is for things like 'The Arndale Centre' i.e. proper
nouns (names) of buildings/areas etc? in which case, the spelling is
dependent on whatever the owner of the structure chooses.
if they spell it 'centre', then it's 'centre'.
if they spell it 'center', then it's 'center'.
if they spell it 'senterr' then it's 'senterr'.
imo we're here to reflect reality, not make political or otherwise
statements about the validity of any language or dialect over any
other

or maybe it's for the name of the actual tag key? in that case, it
doesn't really matter - whatever the proposer comes up with. i would
hope there wouldn't be any silly arguments over which to use, so long
as everyone sticks to it when they map

or do the renderers check for alternative spellings?