On Dec 25, 2007 8:40 AM, David James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, December 24, 2007 5:34 pm, Karl Newman wrote:
> >            Garmin GPS devices support emergency vehicle mode
> > routing, so I think this could be useful.
>
> Does that change the choice of route? I'd always assumed (with absolutely
> no evidence to support the assumption) that it only affected the average
> speeds used in the ETA calculation.
>
> --
> David James

Yes, there is a mapping restriction class specifically for emergency
vehicles. That way (for example) you could prevent a turn at an
intersection for motorcars, but allow it for emergency vehicles. You
can change the routing mode (i.e. pedestrian, bicycle, bus, taxi,
etc.) in the GPS and it will change the permissible routes.

Karl