This problem can elegantly be solved as a "layer" on the output e.g. a
hyperlink / ballon on web based map.

OSM only need to indicate which nodes already has wikipedia entries
and what their identifiers are. Then we can prevent duplicates from
being rendered.

> I suspect the most likely explanation is that they simply don't
> realise it's not legal - I'd expect discussion on the page if they

Or it's legal because it's fair use because it's small scale and not for profit.

If Google Maps contain a feature that automatically displays WGS
coordinates, then it's only logical that normal people will manually
copy those coordinates into other documents that they freely share
with other interested parties. IMHO The Berne convention (and probably
a whole lot of other case law / common law) prevents someone from
distributing a product under "All rights reserved" and then afterwards
making extremely broad claims against a significant proportion of
their customer base.

A copyright holder can't have it both ways : Upfront revenues and
guaranteed penalties from their customers.