Gregory wrote:
> "All canals have towpaths"
> No.

OK, yes, that was a generalisation. Almost all canals on the used
sections of recreational canal on the map I gave a link to have
towpaths. The vast majority of canals have towpaths.

> I think locks were changed to nodes rather than ways so the gate was
> actually marked and so this was helpful on those staircase locks that
> have more than one gate.

Every lock has more than one gate - at minimum, they have a top gate and
a bottom gate, and some have two of each. A simple staircase lock has
two chambers and three gates.

> I think there is someone on OSM who lives on a canal boat, or does quite
> a bit of canal boating. I seem to remember them providing some input
> into discussions, but can't remember who they are.

:-( Maybe they'll pipe up.

Gerv