On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 22:35 +0000, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:

> Jon Burgess wrote:
> | Once this first pass of the rendering is complete the mod_tile setup
> | will have all the existing tiles fully rendered with the current planet
> | dump and current map style. At that point I will switch over the URLs on
> | the server to make the new tiles live.
> |
> | The new system has already rendered 5M tiles in just under 24 hours.
> | This covers all of zooms 0 - 12 and about halfway through zoom 13. At
> | the current rate all the old 30M tiles will be rendered by about
> | Wednesday next week.
>
> Now that you've done the slowest-to-render low zoom tiles, Why not just
> bin the old DB and backlog and let the rest of the tiles render on demand?

I might do this once all the z16 or z17 tiles are done but with only
z0-12 I fear I'll get lots of complaints about stuff suddenly
disappearing from the map. The zoom levels 15 - 17 are by far the most
numerous according to the histogram of tiles per zoom.

Zoom    Number of tiles in database
0       1
1       4
2       16