On Jan 30, 2008 4:47 AM, David Earl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 30/01/2008 00:42, Rob Reid wrote:
> > Cristiano Giovando wrote the following on 30/01/2008 12:51:
> >> During the upload of a large osm file with JOSM, about 12k nodes and
> >> 500 ways, getting the following error message: "Error while parsing:
> >> An error occurred: Connection timed out: connect".
> >>
> >> Any idea? I tried to restart the upload, but it would not resume,
> >> instead restart from the beginning, to just stop again because of the
> >> same error.
> >>
> > Cristiano,  The error you are getting is correct in that JOSM is timing
> > out while trying to upload the  data.
> > Restarting the upload does actually resume the upload, its just that the
> > progress bar starts at the beginning again for the remaining data.
> > For example if you are uploading 12K nodes and it times out after 6K
> > nodes, then when you restart, the progress bar will begin again at the
> > start but appear to move faster as it now only covers the remaining 6K
> > nodes.
>
> I suspect something more than that. I have always had to have four,
> five, six... attempts to upload data, as it always without fail times
> out several times during an upload.
>
> But recently doing larger volumes, my experience has been the same as
> Cristiano - it fails after a few K, and then it won't upload again for
> another 10 minutes or so, and during that time I can't access
> www.openstreetmap.org either.
>
> The former problem we could solve by retrying in JOSM rather than giving
> up, but the latter is as if the server has gone down. Was I just unlucky
> this happened twice in successive attempts a week apart, or is there
> something more going on here? I'll do another big chunk soon, and see
> what happens.
>
> David

I confirm what Rob said, it actually resumed from where it left. But
it's also true it took many tries before I was able to upload the
entire dataset. I suspect this problem is more likely with large
datasets, and it may just be something could be tweaked in JOSM to
extend the connection timeout limit.