There was a long discussion (in Hebrew) at the forum of freemap.co.il about
the license and the availability of the data.

As far as I can understand from the answer that Ehud Shabtai posted (please
correct me if I'm wrong) is that:
1. The code of the software is free under dual license (GPL and commercial)
2. The map (as an image) is promised to be free for use.
3. The data of the map (the gpx logs, features, etc.), are not free and are
at his own possession, and he keeps the right to sell it to commercial
products)

I find the 3rd point very problematic, on one the first hand he'd put a lot
of effort in building the site, improving the software, promoting it,
collecting the data, rendering and storing everything. But on the other
hand, people don't get access to gpx data they and others contributed to the
project.

I believe that a major aspect of the OSM project is the availability of the
raw data, letting you adjust it to your own needs, adding layers and
developing tools as routing and such.
By giving only the cooked image, freemap.co.il lack these advantages, and as
a developer and a user, I find it very problematic.

I think that the work done in freemap.co.il by Ehud is really great, but if
I have to choose, I prefer OSM although its coverage of Israel is very bad
right now and a lot of work still to be done.

Moshe