On Feb 5, 2008 2:47 PM, Ben Laenen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all, and Andy in particular,

Hi Ben. An excellent selection of suggestions - I'll reply to them inline.

> as the past weeks went by while entering cycle routes for Belgium into
> OSM, I've come across several issues. It's a big mash-up of needed tags
> and improvements, so here goes...
>

> * Tagging of alternate routes:
>
> Some routes have shortcuts, or in general alternate ways (e.g. for when
> a route is blocked due to the weekly market day, it's possible to
> follow another signed route, or sometimes there's an alternative for
> cyclists who don't like sandy roads). These routes are generally marked
> as a dashed line on most maps I've seen, to make sure it doesn't look
> like the main route. I guess a tag as "route_special=alternate" added
> to the route relation works for that to make that happen. I don't think
> a "route_special=shortcut" is needed, after all, it's just an
> alternate.

We have ncn= yes / proposed and this could easily be extended to ncn =
yes / proposed / connection / alternative / no without adding any more
tags. I'm not sure if anyone will care too much about
proposed-alternatives being different from proposed-main-routes, but
this wouldn't be hard to solve anyway.

> * Tagging of connection routes:
>
> Connection routes are routes which bring you either from one route to
> another one, or from a route to an interesting location like a city
> center (or the other way around). These routes also need to look
> differently on the map. In the maps I've seen they usually do it by
> marking them with a different colour, but I understand that may be a
> problem with different networks on one map, so maybe a dotted route
> perhaps? Anyway, I propose a "route_special=connection" tag for these.

See above

> * Rendering when different networks (local, regional, national) are on
> the same way:
>
> It's somewhat solved on the highest zoom in the cycle map by having
> transparent ways,

It's not perfect though :-)

>  but in lower zooms it gets messy since it's
> apparently a random one that "wins" for each section.

That's a bug. It's actually deterministic, but I think what you're
seeing on some parts is things like the end of the wider line
overlapping with a different section. But I haven't sorted it yet.

>  I've seen two
> different approaches on the maps I've seen so far:
> - alternate colours: the section are coloured e.g.
> red-blue-red-blue-red-blue (but becomes a problem for more than one
> network)
> - different networks = different line width: this is my personal
> favourite solution for this: make national routes wider than regional
> ones, which are again wider than local ones. So you can easily show
> three routes on one way if needed. You only need to make sure to draw
> to thinnest routes last of course :-) This solution also works nicely
> with dashed lines like mentioned above.

My preference would be to draw the lines side-by-side, but that's what
I'll call the "tube map problem" since mapnik can't do that.

> * Preferred colour for the route:
>
> Now let me first say that this isn't for giving all national routes the
> colour "green" for example instead of red in country X. I want to use
> this to distinguish routes on the same level which can run into each
> other.
>
> I don't know if something similar exists in the UK, but over here it's
> needed for our local routes: these aren't really a network, but they're
> themed routes which make loops, and those loops overlap each other,
> sometimes two or more of them follow the same road for a short
> distance. So, when making them all the same colour on a map it becomes
> a route cloud in which you can't see the exact loops anymore, and you
> have no idea anymore how the routes go.
>
> Again, this is usually solved by different colour on maps, so that's why
> I propose here an "abstract" "preferred_colour=X" tag, where X could be
> a number between 0 and 5. The renderer can then choose its palette and
> assign colours to them which suit the map and which don't clash with
> the colours of other networks (like all shades of blue for local
> routes, shades of red for national routes etc). The person entering the
> route in OSM then just need to make sure that no two routes of the same
> colour overlap.
>
> The problem of having two different coloured routes of the same network
> level on one road is then solved by alternating the two colours on the
> shared road.

It's common for routes to be distinguished on signs by colour as much
as name or reference. I think they should be mapped with signed_colour
= yellow, since that makes it clear. Renderers can then know that the
colour is important, but still choose to ignore it if they wish (or
map the colours to a chosen palette, or keep all the local routes in
blue and put little coloured borders on them or similar). Using
"signed_colour" clarifies what we mean.

> * Route starting points:
>
> As the title says: this is for points where a route starts (the local
> loop routes for example all have a starting point), usually near a
> parking, sometimes at a symbolic place after which the route was named.
>
> For rendering this could be a big dot, together with the name of the
> route and a reference if it has one

Sounds good. It's along the same lines as the cycle node networks,
where a specific point has a particular meaning.

> (that also happily solves the
> current issue of not seeing the names for those routes which have no
> reference numbers)

That's a bug. Fixing it will also stop people using
ncn_ref=Something-awfully-long-that-isn't-a-reference-really, which
suggests the invention of an ncn_name= tag.

Cheers,
Andy