Quoting Frederik Ramm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Well my position is the enlightened one: We can't enforce anything,

We don't know precisely what can and cannot be enforced.

This is why the current debate within OSM and with other organizations
is so important, to ensure that OSM has a reasonably firm basis for
whatever form the licence (or lack thereof) takes.

> Pushing a viral license in full knowledge that it is unlikely to
> work  against those who chose to neglect it, is lying to the community

Fortunately nobody is doing this or is likely to do it.

If copyleft doesn't work then it obviously shouldn't be used and CC0
or similar is the way to go. But I don't think we're at that point yet.

It may well also be the case that the various layers of OSM (the GPS
tracks, ways, and rendered maps) may have different statuses in the
eyes of the law.

- Rob.