On Feb 10, 2008 4:21 AM, Frederik Ramm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Since trees lining a way/street are such a common occurence, why
> > not have a simple additional tag to the main road.
> >
> > lined_by_trees=yes/no/left/right
>
> I'm a bit unhappy about needlessly inflating the importance of the
> direction of ways. Long-term, I would actually like to get rid of the
> direction and express everything in relations. The reasons for this
> are
>
> (a) the direction is too easily changed, sometimes by mistake
>
> (b) there might be multiple conflicting things that rely on the
>    direction, e.g. a road that is oneway from A to B but has a
>    slope from B to A
>
> Anything with "left/right" in it also relies on direction. I'd prefer
> "east/west/north/south", or using an explicit relation that says
> "trees on the right between nodes A and B along road C".
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Okay, this thread is at risk of spinning wildly off-topic, but I've been
thinking about this situation recently. It seems to clamor for the use of
specialized relations that are "direction-aware". That way, if a way is a
member of a relation and has directional properties (left/right), then the
editors could look for those relations when the way is reversed and either
fix them automatically or at the minimum raise a warning dialog.

I also had some other ideas about enforcing referential integrity for
another type of specialized relation (if one or more node relation members
is required to be part of a way relation member, then enforce that rule).
That rule could actually be enforced by the API.

These specialized relations would just give some structure to the wide-open
relation type, without implying anything about the nature of the relation.
It could possibly be accomplished through special tags on the existing
relation structure.

Karl