Hi,

> >     I'm planning to offer the download of current OSM shapefiles for
> > various European countries. I've done a test run and there are some
> > files to play with at: http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/
>
> Great! How much does it cost?

Well I was not planning to charge for it but if you want to pay me
something that's fine ;-)

> I mean: can you manage to do other countries (Italy is missing).

Just added Italy, but it will take an hour or so to show up.

> Otherwise, how complicate is to replicate this work on our own?
> A wiki page or a README will be required soon, IMO!

The basic procedure is this:

* obtain latest planet (or an excerpt large enough, e.g. europe.osm)
* obtain a polygon file that describes the section you want to cut
  out, possibly from maproom.psu.edu
* use osmosis to cut out the are from the planet file
* use a suitable shapefile generation tool, e.g. osmexport, to
  generate shapefiles from that.

The shapefile generation will require some configuration (how many
shapefiles? what to put in them? which tags to convert?) and I have
chosen some simple general settings for my download stuff, thinking
that if anyone needs something sophisitcated they'll do their own
anyway.

In addition to the above procedure, if you want to do the same thing
on a daily basis and possibly for a big number of areas, you will want
to do the following:

* edit your polygon files (use the poly2osm/osm2poly scripts that I
  have recently put into SVN, then you can modify the polygon using
  JOSM) - files from maproom.psu.edu are often more detailed than need
  be
* download daily diffs instead of full planets, and apply them to your
  local copy using osmosis
* automate the whole process

The only script I'm using that is not yet published is a C impleme-
ntation of a subset of osmexport's capabilities which is far less
flexible but a bit faster and less memory consuming, but the existing
osm2shp.cpp would probably have done the job as well.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00.09' E008°23.33'