kat Anderson wrote:
>Sent: 07 March 2008 8:47 AM
>To: talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-talk] Street mapping novice needs some help
>
>Hi,
>
>I am new to the world of street maps.  I am wanting to create my own key
>and use osm as an overlay, does anyone know how to do this?

You probably need to explain a bit better what you are wanting to do here so
that someone can better answer.

>Also I'm trying to set up a website with osm maps integrated within it as
>opposed to just hyperlinks to maps.  Is this possible and if so can anyone
>explain the best way to do it?

Embedding OSM maps where the map tiles are provided by OSM is ok as long as
it's not going to see heavy use. If you expect a lot of visitors then you
need to generate and host your own map tiles created from the OSM data.

For more on setting up a slippy map check out:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Deploying_your_own_Slippy_Map

For info on rendering your own tiles check out:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapnik

Cheers

Andy