I am planning on visiting Cuba in April, and have heard one of the problems
with car hire is that road signs are truly awful. Which gave me the idea to
take a GPS and kill two birds with one stone - use existing data to know
roughly where the roads were and help with naviagation, and also to use the
traces from the GPS to improve the maps for the country.

I have two reservations with this strategy:

1) There is very little current data available. Since most of the Western have
of the island has been recently accidentally deleted along with some other
streets, Cuba looks bare. To remedy this I was planning on importing some VMAP0
or DCW data, no mass import, but just a few roads that might make the map more
useful if I do download it onto a GPS. Does anyone object to this?

2) I'm not sure how a GPS reciever would be percieved in Cuba, particularly at
Customs. I don't think the regime is particularly paranoid about these things,
but bearing in mind history and politics, does anyone have any experience with
their import and use

Any help gratefully appreciated

Steve