2008/3/21, Mike Collinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Close roughly parallel ways, where the rendering of one way makes the other
> way disappear. Swedish cycleways (God's gift to mankind) next to roads are
> my nightmare, but I see other examples such as roads and railways/canals,
> big roads next to little roads, ...
>
> Mike

+1

Maybe the solution could be to render thin objects (footpath,
cycleway) above wider objects(primary, secondary, railway) _of the
same layer_.

Another idea i had some time ago was to make parallel ways of similar
width not eating up each others borders or overlapping each other
completely, but rendering a border in the middle between them, so each
of them is losing width, but they do not overlap or "melt"(Example:
residential, track or service next to railway in Osmarender). This
could be a problem at junctions, but maybe this could be solved by
detecting nodes shared by both ways and changing the rendering in some
radius around them...

-Martin